The CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est is a public institution in the health and social service network. It offers specialized adjustment and rehabilitation services to persons with intellectual impairment (II) or pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), as well as support and accompaniment services for the person’s entourage (family, friends, partners, living environments).
Table of Contents
The CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est mandate
All our services focus on:
- The development of autonomy;
- Integration and social participation;
- Reducing the person’s situation of handicap.
Our interventions are personalized and take into account the characteristics, needs and interests of the person.
As a member of the Quebec health and social service network, we work together with other organizations, institutions or environments which offer services to our users (schools, community, early childhood, etc.). In this way, we can respond to all our clients’ needs.
The CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est serves persons with an intellectual impairment or pervasive developmental disorder who have needs of a specialized nature and who live in the territory of the Montérégie-Est. Two provisional diagnoses are also accepted, overall developmental delay or a hypothesis of a PDD.
Clienteles of the CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est
A person with an intellectual injury has significant limitations in intellectual functioning and adjustment capacities. These limitations are manifested in:
- Conceptual skills:
- Functional school aptitudes
- Social skills:
- Interpersonal relations
- Respecting rules
- Leisure activities
- Practical skills:
- Personal care
- Housekeeping skills
Intellectual impairment manifests before the age of 18 years. It is a permanent state.
Pervasive developmental disorder
A person with a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) presents a neurological disorder characterized by a lack of balance in overall development in three aspects of functioning:
- Social interactions
- Verbal and non-verbal communications;
- Behaviours and interests which are repetitive, stereotypical and restricted.
A pervasive developmental disorder may or may not be accompanied by an intellectual impairment.
- Autistic disorder
- Asperger syndrome
- Childhood disintegrative disorder
- Rett syndrome
- Unspecified pervasive developmental disorder
The CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est services
Access, assessment and orientation service
- Identify the eligibility of persons referred (presence of a diagnosis, territory of domicile and needs for specialized services);
- Direct the person to the appropriate services provided by the CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est;
- If applicable, direct the persons referred to other service providers, according to the needs identified.
Adjustment and rehabilitation services for the person
These services focus on:
- The optimal development of the person’s potential;
- His integration and social participation;
- Improving his quality of life.
- Specifically, the goal of these services is:
- To facilitate interactions between the person and his environment (adjustment);
- To correct a situation and enable the person to return to conditions favourable for his social inclusion (rehabilitation).
Adjustment and rehabilitation service for the person in a context of integration in the workplace
This service is designed to integrate and maintain persons in the most normal workplace possible within the community. The intervention is personalized; it is performed by evaluating and developing the person’s interests and skills to orient them toward employment.
The service has two phases:
- Pre-employment integration: Uncompensated work activities designed to build skills and validate interests. These activities may be carried out individually or in a group, for a set period;
- Employment: An enterprise employs the person; it is part of the employee list and is a salaried employee as set out in labour standards.
Adjustment and rehabilitation services are carried out through direct interventions with the patient and by interventions with the family, friends and partners involved.
Adjustment and rehabilitation service in a context of community integration
This service is designed to integrate and maintain persons in social activity environments that are as normal as possible within the community. Contrary to the adjustment and rehabilitation service in the context of workplace integration, this service does not lead to paid employment.
It is instead a matter of community participation, a human activity, chosen according to the user’s interests and skills, which enables the person to contribute to the community, or an exploratory activity designed to develop and validate his claims.
Adjustment and rehabilitation service in a context of residential integration
This service covers the adjustment and rehabilitation interventions carried out in environments to substitute the users’ natural family. Depending on the person’s characteristics and the intensity of the support required, the CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est may suggest different types of substitute environments:
- Family-type resources (FTR), a substitute residential living environment similar to a natural setting;
- Intermediate resources (IR), a specialized residential environment adapted to the needs of persons who require a sustained and permanent intervention;
- Specialized residences, for complex needs which require intensive intervention.
The choice of the type of accommodation is defined according to the user’s needs. It is designed to offer the lightest kind of accommodation with the greatest degree of integration as possible.
Specialized educational assistance for the family and friends (without the patient)
This service facilitates interactions between the family and friends, and the person who has an intellectual impairment or pervasive developmental disorder when the latter does not receive services from the CRDITED.
Interventions seek to:
- Reinforce the skills of the family and friends to stimulate the person’s development;
- Reinforce the skills of the family and friends in promoting the person’s integration and social participation.
Specialized support for partners (without the the patient)
This service supports other bodies and organizations which receive or provide services to persons with an intellectual impairment or pervasive developmental disorder.
Our interventions assist these organizations in adapting their services to facilitate the integration of persons with an intellectual impairment or pervasive developmental disorder.
- Activities (training, awareness-raising, etc.) take place in various environments to support the organizations:
- Institutes in the health and social service network;
- School network or early childhood centers;
- Community environment;
The CRDITED de la Montérégie-Est (CRDITEDME) Documentation Centre is a dedicated portal to the world of intellectual impairment and pervasive developmental disorders. Available to users, their families and employees of the CRDITEDME, it offers over 10,000 publications: books, DVDs, CD-ROMs, videos and serial publications on all aspects of intellectual impairment and pervasive developmental disorders.
Our Documentation Centre works with other intellectual impairment and pervasive developmental disorder rehabilitation centres, as well as several hospitals and other organizations in the health and social service network in Quebec, Canada and around the world. It allows us to provide the most complete and up-to-date information possible.
Resources and organizations that can help
Laws of Canada
A-2.1 – Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information
S-4.2 – Act respecting health services and social services
Public and social organizations
Public Health Agency of Canada
Butters Foundation – Continuing the Legacy of Lily Butters
Work and education
List of health advice